Similarities between Artists and Gardeners

Being a gardener and an artist, I feel like there are many similarities between both role.

Similarly to artists, a gardener must try to mentally visualize their work in completion long before the work has even begun.  A garden and a painting require much planning and techniques.

Whether I'm gardening or painting, I require inspiration and must draw from the knowledge I have accumulated. Some of the knowledge and skills were was acquired through reading while others were discovered through experimentation.   One think is for certain, I continue to learn in the garden and my studio.

I am thankful that the knowledge of design acquired for my paintings has been of enormous use in my garden. It has transformed my garden from a pretty collection of plants to visual lines, symmetry, form and function in a way that pleases the eye and is inviting.

Here is a painting that I completed earlier this week.  We all have something that we've done that we are very proud of. This painting achieves that feeling.

Elegance - 21" X 17"

This new painting is sitting on my easel as I decide if it is completed or not.  This is the painting that I demoed to class participants in the past two weeks.

Tea Time - 16" X 12"



Have a great week,

Danielle



Comments