Art as an escape from reality

Can music, painting, poetry and art in general allow a genuine escape from the humdrum or stress of the reality of the day?
“Generally speaking, art is an expression of man’s need for a harmonious and complete life, that is to say, his need for those major benefits of which a society of classes has deprived him. That is why a protest against reality, either conscious or unconscious, active or passive, optimistic or pessimistic, always forms part of a really creative piece of work. Every new tendency in art has begun with rebellion”. - Leon Trotsky
Don’t you go thinking that by using this quote that I’ve turned to fashionable communism. Although Trotsky is saying that this act of escape is, in itself, a rebellion against current realities. I don’t support the idea that all art is rebellion because not everything needs to be rebelled against, or is worth rebelling against. However, most artists have a need for harmony in their life and painting is one way to achieve that harmony. 

I am an artist who "escapes" on a regular basis into my studio or garden (more on that another day). Painting, as well as gardening, has a magical effect of helping me keep things in perspective. I do not need to use my art to rebel against anything.
 
Danielle Beaulieu peaceful watercolour of pines
 
Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of “escaping” real world events by spending several hours painting away in my studio with a few photos of lakes and forest. Last week, I showed you some paintings of pines. This week I want to show you other types of paintings I’ve been producing. Although these paintings have been inspired by photos, these scenes do not exits. I have imagine every one. Don’t you find that they have a very calming, meditative effect?

Danielle Beaulieu peaceful watercolour of pines

On Saturday August 23, I invite you to come and see these paintings at the Cumberland Art in the Park Event between 8am and 1pm.

Danielle
Danielle Beaulieu peaceful watercolour of pines

Comments