How I Learned to Paint Watercolors

I’m often asked how I learned to paint . . .
 
I only started painting watercolours a few years ago. I never knew I had that inside me. Even though I paint almost every weekend, it’s still a surprise to see my workspace covered with palettes, brushes, a box full of paints and lots of art books and to know they’re mine.
 

I’ve always done plenty of things with my hands: I’ve sewn clothing for years, I crochet, I knit, etc… I have a closet full of fabrics, wool, patterns and threads. So crafts have always been part of my life.

Art has been something I've admired for most my life. I have beautiful original acrylic and oil paintings throughout my house that I’ve purchased through the years at galleries and estate sales. But somehow, it’s watercolours that I was most curious about and wanted to try.


My journey began one day when I walked into Michaels craft store and purchased a box set with cheap watercolours and a beginner book. Then I was hooked, I did one lesson after the other from that book. Quickly I learned that there were numerous watercolour tutorials on youtube to teach me various techniques.
 

Shortly after, I bought better quality paints and brushes and slowly I could see myself improving and my love of watercolours grew. Here are some reasons why I love watercolours:
 
  1. They are beautiful. Watercolours have a kind of beauty that is unlike any other art medium. Like a wild animals, they have a mind of their own.
  2.  They're challenging. Watecolours are known to be one of the difficult medium to control. Who doesn’t like a challenge? 
  3. They're diverse. There are so many different ways of painting with them. The painter can use the watercolours and adapt his or her style to various styles.

Here's one of my first paintings.


Here's another floral painted in the past  few months.
 
It's up to you to judge if I'm improving.
 
Danielle

Comments