Inspiration Overload for Painting Watercolors

I'm lucky that I'm never short of inspiration to paint. Saturday morning is normally when I start a new painting. Ideas normally start coming to me earlier in the previous week. By 5am Saturday morning, I can no longer contain myself and I jump out of bed (earlier than when I get up the rest of the work week) and quietly come down the stairs to my workshop. And that’s how my weekend of fun normally begins – watercolours and a cup of warm coffee.

People often ask me where my ideas come from? All over the place. Sometimes I see a photo that draws me in, other times I see a technique from another artist that I want to try and other times, I just feel like painting a certain topic, like a specific flower or scene.

These days I’m working on a commission piece. My client has narrowed his choices to two photos he recently took in Hawaii. So I’ve decided to create small sketches of the two photos to help him decide. I completed the first one. It is a Banyan tree. Two photos are posted below, one of the finished product and the other a mid-way view. It was difficult to stop sketching as I kept adding values to the point where it’s almost a completed painting. The art of sketching seems to escape me! Oh well, maybe on the second one I’ll be able to stop at the sketch stage.

Danielle


half way through...


Final....


Comments