Learnings from Sterling Edwards

For my second week of holiday I explored the painting style of Sterling Edwards. Sterling created a number of videos explain his big, stylized bold strokes of watercolor to create wonderfully fresh, luminous paintings. I also have re-read his book entitled “Creating Luminous Watercolor Landscapes: A Four-Step Process”.

Sterling Edwards studied with renowned watercolorist Zoltan Szabo (1928 to 2003) who painted for some 65 years. He has developed his own unique style which I find quite attractive. His representational style (as opposed to realism) captures the mood and dynamics of landscapes.

This week has been a challenge, not only because I was trying to learn some valuable techniques, I was also trying new paint brushes. Normally, I paint with round brushes; Sterling advocates the use of large flat brushes which I am struggling with. In addition, I normally paint on a flat surface. This week I put to the test the use of my new easel which allows me to paint at an angle.

Sterling Edwards provides numerous workshops across the US and Canada. I hope to someday be able to attend one of his workshops.

Here are two paintings produces this week. During this weekend, I will continue my focus on this style. 
Danielle's watercolour based on Sterling Edwards video

Danielle's watercolour based on Sterling Edwards video

Danielle


p.s. here is the link to Sterling Edwards paintings http://www.sterlingedwards.com/portfolio/index.html

Comments