Original Art vs. Prints

The choice between original art vs print is a touchy subject with artists. It’s one of those questions that gets people all riled up but when all is said and done, has no “right” answer. 

Is original art worth the fuss and extra cost, even if some are very affordable. There is the long-term value of the art to consider, but more importantly, there is something very special about owning an original piece of art. I’ve been collecting original art, mostly oil and acrylics (funny as I paint watercolours) for the past 20 years. However, I do have a few prints for areas where it would not be advisable to hang original art (such as bathrooms). Having originals and prints, I know that I am much more attached to the originals, regardless of the price. 

I can understand why some prefer to purchase prints. Cost is likely a big consideration and related to that is the fact that we live in a disposable society and some like to change their artworks regularly. Regardless, buying prints brings art into your home. 

Although some art collectors consider buying art an investment as the artist continues to mature and expands their career, I prefer originals because I know that what I own is a one of a kind. It is normal for prices of originals of an artist to increase as their career progresses. Therefore, some may see it as an opportunity to get affordable art from newbies like me. There is no doubt that I’m never going to be the next Picasso, but I’m happy that the price of my paintings is slowly increasing with demand.

This week, I continue the work on my triptych. I hope to have it finished by weekend. Here are two photos of the work in progress. The background is finished and I’m working on the flowers. Each of the three paintings/panels will be affixed to a claybord that is 12” X 24”.

This first one has the background painted.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour daisies

At this stage the first wash (layer) for the flowers has been applied.

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour daisies

Have a great week.

Danielle

Comments