Resource for learning to paint

I often get asked when I go to art shows if I would give watercolour lessons. Although it would give me immense pleasure to share what I have learned so far, I still have lots more to learn. Teaching beginners is certainly something I will consider when I retire from my day job and have some spare time.

To all of those wishing to get started, I recommend they join
Art Tutor since it provides wonderful lessons online which they can take at their own pace. The membership price is extremely affordable considering Art Tutor has lots of classes for 6 mediums (acrylics, coloured pencils, drawing, oils, pastels and watercolour). They keep adding videos and guides all the time.

Their Academy program takes anyone through the basic steps - creating different types of washes, colour theory, mixing colours etc. As well as the video lessons, there are suggested exercises and 'homework' assignments. At the end of each module participants can submit their work to obtain a certificate.

In addition, Art Tutor offers a very supportive community that never hesitates to assist others in their progression.  I can't stress this enough.  After a few years with Art Tutor, I have yet to encounter anybody, regardless of their skill level, that doesn't provide some type of assistance and constructive guidance to their colleagues. It doesn't matter what your skill level, as they are all welcome and being assisted.

There are other online learning sites, but this is certainly the most comprehensive and affordable that I have found. 


I've experimented with other sites, however Art Tutor remains at the top of my recommended list.

Another day, I'll share my experiences with local associations and various courses and workshops I have benefited from.

Here is one of my latest paintings. This one is to celebrate the maple syrup season. I'm a sucker for taffy on snow.

Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of bucket collecting maple sap
Did you know that 40 liters of sap is required to make just one liter of syrup?

Here is another recent painting. Sometimes, they just don't turn out as one would have hoped. This is a sugar shack in the spring.
Danielle Beaulieu's painting of sugar shack
Happy Easter and have a great week,
Danielle

Comments