Unlikely painting subject - mushrooms

When I go for hikes or camping, I love searching for mushrooms.  One time while canoe camping in the Adirondacks, I photographed about 10-12 different mushrooms within 4-5 minutes from our tent.

I don't know why they fascinate me, maybe it's the different shapes and colours they come in. It gives me childlike joy to wander in the woods with my camera trying to find the strangest mushrooms.  I don't pick them. I just take photos because I'm normally camping and wouldn't dare experiment with something that would make me sick when I'm a day or so away from civilization. 

Strangely enough, it never occurred to me to try to paint a mushroom. Maybe it's because they don't make the most interesting subjects.  In any event, I still feel like I'm in a rut with my painting so why not try something silly to paint. So here goes with two paintings of mushrooms.

The first is common and grows on trees with lots of moss.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of mushroom
The second one is actually as orange as this painting and is only an inch or two high (or centimeters).  The common name is Orange Spindle Coral.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of mushroom
So these may not be great paintings but they do bring back wonderful memories ;-)

Today I start a new painting with broken farm equipment.  The photo is wonderful so hoping I can convey in the painting.

Have a great week
Danielle

Comments