Painting flowers

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the upcoming Ottawa Orchid Show.  I recently finished the following watercolour for the art show that accompanies the flower show.

Orchids belong to one of the oldest, most highly evolved plant families. There are more than 24,000 species.  I don"t know exactly which one I painted, all I know is that it is a type of lady slipper and that it is very interesting to look at.

I enjoy painting flowers as much as I enjoy painting landscapes.  Each requires a very different palette of colours and different strokes.  With  flowers, there is a greater attention to details.  There are curls and petals in multi-ruffled blooms. Then there are  the sun and shadows as each petal moves from sun to shade.

More on landscapes for another week.

Danielle

Comments