Painting is a humbling experience

Art has a long history and there are lots of terrific artists today creating new history. The number of fabulous painters just in Ottawa is impressive.  I spend a lot of time looking at other artists' work and examining how they produce their paintings.  With so much talent around, painting is a humbling experience.

When I'm thinking of what to paint, I not only think about the subject, I need to think about the variety of ways I can depict the subject, and then there is size and colours to consider.  It's about the potential that lies ahead.

Painting is almost like a slot machine with slightly better odds. The results are sometimes random.  However, I have control over the combination of factors.  With a blank sheet of paper and freshly squeezed paint, I have a universe of possibilities.  And when it doesn't work out to my expectations (never those of others), I put it in the bin of valuable experience.  Every painting is a learning experience.

So when I ask myself, what I shall paint today, I have an opportunity to explore areas that I have never explored.

A couple of years ago, my wonderful husband found a few old cabinet doors. Each door has five window panels. The doors are about 5 feet tall and about 10 inches wide. As you can imagine, the proportions are somewhat awkward to work with.  This is what I painted recently for one of the doors.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of evergreen

Once spring arrives, my husband will strip the paint from the frame and will stain it with a golden brown colour which will be more appealing for this painting.

I'm also working on an idea for another door.  If I didn't have work to do today, I could finish it ;-(

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments