Old Window Sash Locks

I love to create watercolours and frame them in old wooden windows. There is a certain charm to old things and I have a lot of respect for how things were built many years ago and how our grandparents and their parents had to live.

A couple of old windows I purchased had old sash locks which reminded me of my grandfather's windows.  These old sash locks bring me back to a time when I was young and spending peaceful summers on the farm in Connaught Ontario (near Timmins). The air up north is so different since there is no pollution. My grandparents lived on a farm with very few modern facilities. For example, to cook, bake or access hot water, you had to use the woodstove as the source of heat. In addition, there was no TV to watch, hence we had to occupy ourselves by playing in the fields and forest.  In some respect, life was simple back then.

Since most of my old windows do not have any locks, I ended up finding and purchasing on eBay a few of these old locks. Then one day it occurred to me to just paint the locks as they are gorgeous. For most people, when they see these pieces of hardware, they might see a whole lot of shapes that may or may not be of any interest.

Artists use all kinds of shapes in their paintings. Geometric shapes are precise and regular, like squares, rectangles, and triangles. Combination of these shapes are found all around us. When I look at the old window locks, I see numerous repeating shapes which made this interesting to paint. Normally when I paint, I don't think about shapes enough - so this painting was a different experience - a good one.

Here is the progression of this painting.
Danielle Beaulieu step by step locks
Would you believe that after the last photo on the right, I spent another 2-3 hours to get to the final product.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of old sash lock

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments