Sometimes you just know

Sometimes when you see a different frame you just know what you're going to paint for it.

My darling husband bought me some lovely roses for Valentines day.  We all know that roses start wilting a few days after they are bought and there is always a few of them with more stamina. Because I love dried flowers, when the roses started wilting this year, I hung them upside down so that they may dry beautifully - like I do with many cut flowers.  However, there was one rose that was still going strong so I put it in a very small vase by a window.  I left it there till it dried, but before it dried the flower head had tilted over and dried in that position. It has been sitting pretty since then on the window sill until I found the right idea to paint it.

That idea came to me yesterday as a friend gave me a beautifully molded frame that called for something that was not a landscape and more traditional, more old fashion.  The background also had to be old fashion, hence I painted a striped wallpaper which provided some lovely greyish blues in the reflections of the vase.

As all dried flowers, the colours of the bloom are very dark:
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour dried rose
I'll probably tweak the bloom a bit today, but this was a fun small project to do in a long evening.

Have a great week
Danielle

Comments