Longing for the days when things were simpler

Have you ever listened to the radio and heard a 20 year old song that was a favorite of yours.  When this happens, do you start having fond memories of the past. A familiar smell can also elicit a similar sensation, as can an old classic movie such a Mary Poppins. Sound familiar? You’ve experienced nostalgia.

Nostalgia has a very positive effect on the psyche. Nostalgic memories are generally happy memories, and experiencing nostalgia can have a bunch of psychological benefits.

We live in an era of sophisticated electronic devices, but nostalgia about the simple ways things used to be often creeps into my mind.  Although I'm often connected with my laptop, I find many of the new electronic "toys"  too much. I cannot keep up with the pace of change.

I continue to have fond memories of older things, such old wooden windows, as you probably already know. I enjoy going to flea markets or vintage stores and seeing what my grandparents used on a daily basis.   There is a feeling of tranquility and security when I see older thing.

In continuing to be intrigued by vintage items, I am saddened when I think that the new generations of children need electronic toys to amuse themselves instead of cultivating their curiosity and creativity with simpler toys.

Here is a painting of a few old toys that today's new generation will not be familiar with.

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of vintage toys
Have a great week

Danielle

Comments