Had a great day - Oil lamp

Recently, I painted a few more paintings of vintage items, old tools to be more precise.  They have been a lot of fun to paint because they require lots of texture. Texture refers to the appearance of a surface.  It's one of the elements that improves a watercolour by making the subject more believable.

Since watercolour paint doesn't have any thickness, various techniques are necessary to create texture.  To create the look of old rust and metal, I had to apply 4-6 different layers of paints with a different technique for each layer.

Yesterday, I submitted the following painting and another of old tools to the Ottawa Watercolour Society Juried show.  I was very pleased that both paintings were juried into the show which opens in early December.  I was even more pleased that this painting received two jurors' awards.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of oil lamp by the chain
Have a great week,
Danielle


Comments