Taking reference photos

Taking good reference photos is the first step to a painting. Today, anyone with a smartphone can take quality pictures of pretty much anything, anytime. So if you have a good smartphone, you really can get by without any other photographic equipment.

However, I'm lucky that I have a couple of good cameras. These are able to produce sharper, clearer images than almost any smartphone. I have a good DSLR and a good quality compact camera that I have with me almost have every time.

The greatest challenge for me is finding the best angle for the photo.  This depends a lot on what I am photographing.  Therefore, I normally take a number of photos from various angles. Then I need to spend much time looking at each to decide which one I think is better. I wish I knew with more certainty which photo to choose. Another key ingredient is the light source as a strong light source is the most important factor in any photo.

Here is one of my latest painting of wagon wheels.  I love how the various lines criss-cross. The challenge with painting this one was trying to capture the various angles of the wheels and the depth.  Also, although I had created similar texture in other paintings, I couldn't use the same techniques here because the paper was so different.  It's interesting how different brands  of paper can behave so differently. Read more in my other blog about Moulin de Larroque paper.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of abandoned wheels
This is a busy weekend, as I have shows the next two weekends. I'm deciding what to exhibit, framing, preparing labels, packing, etc.

Have a great Easter weekend,
Danielle

Comments