Experimenting with larger brush

Just over a week ago, I went to Vancouver for work. Unfortunately the meetings were held in Richmond in an industrial area where there wasn't much to see. Due to the three hour difference from home, I was waking up early and took advantage of the tranquil time to paint before my work day started.

As a result, I painted a few watercolours and experimented with a larger flat paint brush.  A larger brush assists in achieving a more painterly effect.  In addition, this brush allowed me to try out sweeping motions and unplanned marks and permitted the colours to mix in wet areas.   Since I've been painting many still life in the past year, my paintings have become tighter and require much more control and take a fair amount of time to complete.

Here are the three sketches I painted in my room waiting for meetings to start.  As you see, I was exploring the fall foliage that we will shortly enjoy. 
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour sketches
It was a pleasure to paint these three similar landscapes and not having to spend any times on the details.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments