Sometimes it's the colour

A few weeks ago, I was looking for something in the closet where I store my fabric.  I used to do a lot of sewing and therefore I have quite a bit of fabric for various purposes.  Although I haven't sewed any clothes for myself in the last few years, I'm confident that I'll get back to my fabric some day.

On that day, I spotted the leftover of a red fabric from the corner of my eye. I had made some pants with the fabric many years ago and had kept the remaining fabric to possibly sew a top.

When I saw the fabric, I instantly had an idea for a painting with it.  Although I had never painted fabric, I thought it would make for an interesting challenge.  After trying a few different things with the fabric, I found a composition that I wanted to paint.

Shortly after starting the painting, I quickly realized that it was going to be a greater challenge than expected. Red is not an easy colour to use in watercolour as it does not forgive at all.  It may not be obvious, but I used about 5-6 different reds in this painting. Here is the painting before I signed it.

This watercolour is almost the full size of the sheet. It was fun to paint on this scale and use much larger brushes than I'm used to.

I have lot of other interesting fabric and may try something else in the future as I have a few ideas.

Hope everyone is keeping warm during this cold spell.

Danielle

Comments