Importance of Watercolour Paper


The choice of watercolour paper plays an important role in a watercolour painting.

When choosing a paper, the first characteristic to select is the type of surface. There are three choices and I use two of the three. Occasionally I use a medium texture paper, but most of the time I use a paper with lots of texture which is called "rough". This paper is more undulated and allows for a variety of techniques to provide effects that help make landscapes and antique objects more interesting.

Paper comes in different weights or thicknesses. Regardless of cost, I use very thick paper for the convenience of no buckles when the paper is wet. I do not have to tape the paper when working or stretch it.

I always choose artist quality paper which is normally handmade. This choice is driven  not as much because it is archival and won't deteriorate but because it handles the paint more effectively. My number one choice of paper is Fabriano Artistico.

Here is my latest painting.  As you can see, it fits in with my series of antiques.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of old tools

About a year ago, I painted another one of old tools and I was fortunate to have sold it a number of months ago. I painted this one on Fabriano Artistico rough thick (300 lbs) paper and expect to have it on exhibit for my solo show in December.

Have a great week,

Danielle


Comments