Elk near Jasper

It seems that for some paintings, I spend a considerable amount of time planning out the various elements. I often use elements from various photos that are all different sizes which complicates matters. Overlapping the various elements so that some are forced forward or backward in the scene while preserving the right proportions is not obvious.

The other challenge in using different photos is ensuring that they are taken from a very similar angle.

Once the drawing is completed I then focus on the paint. At this point I focus less on the reference photos. Getting the right values (darks and lights) is important to creating believable landscapes.


In April, I was fortunate to visit Banff and Jasper. The Rockies impressed me and I took hundreds of photos. I was also lucky and saw some elks, including a beautiful big male.  The following watercolour was created from a couple of those photos.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour elk near Jasper
This was the first time that I had painted mountains.  I've started another one - just for the fun of it.

Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments