Painting still life - old tractor

Have you ever looked at a beautiful watercolour still life and wondered where the artist started to paint it. There are three elements one needs to successfully paint a stunning still life: depth, light and color.

The watercolorist starts with a sketch and then applies mask fluid on all of the highlights (white areas or lighter areas). It’s a huge pain to paint around the light spots, so masking is an absolute must. Lately, I've been using Pebeo masking fluid.

I like to apply multiple washes to deepen the darkest of dark colors within my image to add depth and dimension. A painting may take a few washes to get the depth of color I'm looking for. Near the end of the painting, I may start glazing pure color in light washes over the brightest subject matter to really help the color pop. I do this as many times as I need to get a great depth of color in the painting.

Here is my latest still life of the side of an old tractor.  I'm pleased with the addition of the teal throughout the painting.


Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments