Inspiration or determination


Artists often refer to either inspiration of determination for the outcome of their art work. Some artists claim they only paint when they feel inspired, while others paint consistently. Are these two concepts complimentary or exclusive?

In my case both are necessary, but dedication and persistence are more important than inspiration. Having the discipline to pursue something even though it is difficult is required to progress. Inspiration is important, however, without determination to push through you’re left with little more than an idea.

Some of my most challenging paintings have also been my best. Persistence is necessary to working through the difficulties and finishing those challenging pieces. Painting regularly is important to improve my skills.

Here is my latest painting, I used a number of techniques for the background and the pipes. I experimented with gum arabic, instead of masking fluid on the background. The effect is softer but the ability to layer over that medium is a challenge.

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of rusted pipes

I've started a new painting of waterlilies to accompany the one I did a few weeks ago.

Have a great day,

Danielle

Comments