What's in a Name?

Not only do artists search for inspiration, good composition, interesting topics, new techniques and then paint amongst other things, they must also use their creativity to find names for their paintings.

A good title contributes to the emotional appeal of a painting. It conveys to the observer some insights on what the artist is trying to communicate or the artist's personality.

Similarly, I'm often asked if there is a story behind a painting. For example, some of my landscapes are memories from canoe camping trips. When I'm at art shows, viewers enjoy hearing the stories
surrounding the current scene and the circumstances around it. Titles contribute to this. Some titles I've seen are descriptive, mysterious, nostalgic, numerical or emotional.

Some artist colleagues have a real knack for naming their artworks. This has been a perennial challenge for me. On occasion I come up with something funny or intriguing.

A few months ago, I painted some apples in a plastic bag and called it "Bite Me". I was proud of myself for thinking of this. Now I have a similar painting with pears and I'm coming up blank for a title. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is my latest painting that needs a title:


Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of pears

I'm letting this painting sit for a week so I can look at it with objective eyes before calling it done.

In the mean time, I'm debating if I should paint some antiques or candies next.

Have a great week

Danielle



Comments