Getting off track

I suspect that all levels of artists, even professionals, make mistakes, or misjudge things during the drawing or painting process.
My own art projects go off track more often than I care to admit. This doesn't mean that I can't recover in some cases. Mistakes of all types and sizes are an opportunity to acquiring a new skill if you know how to respond. 


But how do you put a derailed project back on track? Often my first reaction after realizing there is a problem is to despair to the point of wanting to start over, no matter how far along I am. This is when I need to stop painting, step back for a while and work on something else.
  

Then I come back to it and look for creative ways to either correct that problem, conceal it, or incorporate it into the painting. It's important for me at this stage when I think I have a solution to sit back and review it periodically to ensure I've thought it through properly.

I'm currently in this situation with a painting I started more than a week ago.  It all started so well and then…. I screwed up with the background.  It's just staring at me now from the easel as I moved on and painted other topics.

Here are two other paintings I completed for an upcoming show in a few weeks.  The first is in a nice old window.

 This second one is part of my loon series.

Have a great week,

Danielle




Comments