September and Busy Times

Do you also feel that September signals new beginnings. More than January, September feels like the start of a new year for a variety of reasons.  Most vacations are over. Children return to school and many adults sign up for various classes.  Whether it's our own memories or those of our children, we remember new school clothes, new books, new teachers, new subjects at school / university.

I've been busy planning two series of classes (1st is apples, 2nd is about elements of a landscape) and also registered for a 7-week class myself since I enjoy the social contacts with fellow artists.  There is something satisfying in re-engaging in activities.  However, this also means that the topics of my personal paintings will be prescribed.  That's not a bad thing as it's good to practice new things.

This past week, I spent considerable amount of time on a drawing.  I would not have expected this from the reference photo.   How long could it take to draw a wrought iron fence and some ferns?  Well a lot longer than I anticipated.  After applying a light layer of paint on the fence and fern and then masking fluid, I'm now focusing on the background.  In the past I have painted the bokehs with gum arabic. On this painting I'm simply painting around the circles.  So far, I much prefer the effect of gum arabic.


This painting should be completed by next weekend.  It's going to be a treat to painted the rusted fence.

Have a great week,

Danielle


Comments