Ability to critique one's own work

Recently a couple of my students mentioned that they had redone their paintings because of one reason or another and that the second painting turned out much better. This made me realize that the ability to critique one's own art work is a valuable skill to improving our painting outcomes.

We've probably all found it easy to informally critique someone else's artwork. However, it's much more difficult to be objective about our own. Here are some tips that I use to distance myself to critique and improve my own art work before declaring it complete:
  • Back up and look at your painting from a distance then walk away from it for at least half an hour. Sometimes you may have to leave your painting on an easel for a few days to figure out what could be improved.
  • Look at your painting in the mirror or take a photo and look at it on your screen. You'll be surprised by how much distance you can gain from your painting while doing this.
  • Search for balance in composition and colour. Are you reusing the same colour across the painting and making sure your painting is primarily warm or cool in temperature.
  • Make sure you have 4 to 5 different values and that your values aren’t broken up with too many light and dark spots. This will look like a polka dot composition from a distance.
  • Ensure there is sufficient contrast around your center of interest to make it "pop".
  • Examine the edges to make certain you have a variety. Some edges should be hard while some should be lost.
Here is my latest painting.  I enjoyed painting the patterns in the water.  This makes me miss being on the water either in a canoe or kayak.

Now I have to think of a title for it.

Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Danielle


Comments