Where to start...

For any works, the creator always asks himself or herself "where to start?"  

Apparently when Michelangelo painted the "Last Judgment", he started with the face of every figure then passed on the lesser elements to his assistants.  Alternatively, some artists like Cezanne advocated for an "all at once" approach.  Many other well know artists start with the centre of interest, then work around it till the painting is finished.  There is probably no right way of "where to start".

I tend to start my paintings with the centre of interest or the most challenging part of the painting when the subject and approach allow for this.  We have to recognize that in watercolours, the medium might dictate where we start.  

By starting with the most difficult area, I am fresh and most enthusiastic about my painting.  As this section advances, my sixth sense kicks in and "I know" if the painting will meet my level of satisfaction.  If yes,  my confidence builds to finish the painting with the same level of attention as the most challenging section.  

Here are two of my watercolours that were certainly a challenge to paint.  For each of these, I first painted the larger pieces of glasses and strings of glasses that are in the front.

Chandelier - 11" X 14"

Lights On - 14" X 11"

Here is a smaller painting I experimented with earlier this week.  It is of a local farm house.  The real house doesn't have a stone exterior, however, I wanted to practice painting this element.

Title TBD -- 8" X 10"


Have a great week,

Danielle

daniellebeaulieuwatercolours.com


Comments