Evolution of Quilting

According to Wikipedia, quilt making was common in the late 17th century and early years of the 18th century. Back then quilts were not made from leftover scraps or worn clothing as a humble bedcovering during this period but were decorative items that displayed the fine needlework of the maker. Since quilting required much leisure time, it was an activity that only the wealthy adopted.

Things changed in the early 19th century. Quilts were then made from squares of printed fabric. With the arrival of the Industrial Revolution textiles were now manufactured on a broad scale.

Our grandparents made quilts to keep us warm during cold nights. These were often made from clothes that no longer fit. Today, quilting has transformed into a popular hobby.  Quilts are now works of art and fabrics are made just for quilting.

When I started painting my quilts, I didn't want to paint the old quilt that my grandmother made because the colours are dull, yet I still wanted to have one quilt that was representative of that period.  I bet you can spot it.

Title TBD - 28" X 18"


Here is another painting that I completed recently as a demo for my class for Kanata Art Club.  I'm currently designing the next classes for this organization. Stay tuned.

Line Them Up - about 18" X 14"


Have a great week,
Danielle




Comments