Warming Up

A few weeks ago I participated in a workshop by Iain Stewart. Before we embarked on the painting he had us warm-up.

As someone who played sports much of her life and taught fitness classes for more than 30 years, I am a strong believer of warming up before any physical activity. But warming up before paining? Well that was a new concept.

Iain had us paint a few sketches to loosen up the muscles, which was the same concept of warming up as I've been used to. He warms up every time before doing a structured painting. Warming up helps one mentally prepare to start painting. It will help activate the right side of your brain.  

Who knew that warming up for painting was a thing and had benefits.

In the past week, I finished my painting of silver and crystal.



Then I spent countless hours examining and cropping some of the many photos that I took of my last bouquet of peony flowers.  Here is how this painting is progressing.  I can't wait to add the dark background to have those lit peonies pop.


Have a great week,

Danielle



Comments