What time of day for creative activities?

There are differing opinions about the body's rhythms and the creative process. Bouts of creative activities might be easier to undertake just after waking as this is the time of day when the prefrontal cortex is most active. A scientific study of brain circuits confirmed that this creative activity is highest during and immediately after sleep, while the analytical parts of the brain (the editing and proofreading parts) become more active as the day goes on. The study looked at morning and evening MRI scans and observed that mornings showed more connections in the brain—a key element to the creative process.

I try to paint as much as possible during the morning.  I also tend to paint in the evening. Do I feel a difference between the two period? Not much except for an easier ability to concentrate in the morning.

Here is where I'm at with my latest painting. There are still some adjustments to be made to the crystal items, but I need to finish the surface, cherries and black background first.


This painting should be completed in the coming days.  I need to find a block of time when the cats are napping to paint the black background.

Painting cut crystal in the past days has really put me in the mood for my "Images of Old - Cut Crystal" 6-week class starting on September 9th for the Kanata Art Club.  I look forward to painting more crystal.  During this class, we'll start from the very basic

I'm also tempted to start another painting of mixed objects similar to the painting above.


The next month promises to be very busy with three different classes and two exhibitions.  I'm excited to tell you that I'll be participating in a pop-up exhibit with a few friend artists at the St Laurent Shopping Centre, Ottawa in the Spotlight store from September 21 to the 26th.



Before that, you can find me at Wall Candy Expo which is being held at the Wesley Clover Park on September 11 and 12 from 10am to 4pm. This is an excellent location to social distance as the booths are far apart. In addition, admission is free and parking is free!


I hope to see you either in an upcoming class or at one of the two exhibitions.


Have a wonderful week,

Danielle



Comments