When I consider what experience has helped me improve my paintings, what clearly comes to mind is the honest critique that more advanced artists provided to me. This is why I provided constructive feedback to my students.

It’s beneficial for novice and emerging artists to receive feedback to help them understand how to improve over time. Critiquing is a vital part of the artistic process that is ultimately needed to further one's skills.

Personal introspection is useful as is support from those around us. However, what I often see is hope for more validation of those efforts rather than a true evaluation of what is technically weak in a painting.

Prior to receiving feedback, it helps to know what you like about your painting before asking for feedback. The better you know what it is you like or dislike before receiving feedback, the better able you will be to put it into perspective.

Most people do not like receiving a critique, still critiquing is one of the best processes artists have to give them a jump in their development.

These past two weeks, I have been fortunate to have been able to set up a Pop Up Art Gallery in a local shopping mall. However, since the foot traffic in malls these days isn't what it used to be, I took advantage of the quiet times to paint rocks in water.  I want to thank all of those who came out to say hi to us in the Pop Up.

I hadn't painted rocks in months and enjoyed painting these.

"It's Only Rock and Roll" - 21" X 17"


Now that I'm almost back to my regular painting schedule, I look forward to painting subjects I haven't had time for.

In addition, stay tuned for some new classes on fruits coming soon.


Have a great week


Danielle




Comments