Breaking the Rules

When you learn watercolours, you're taught a number of rules such as do not use whit that the paper is your white However, Albrecht Durer used white on his famous “the Hare” not to mention Turner using white.

Other rules include:
  • “Transparent Watercolor” is best… All cadmium pigments/ paints are opaque.
  • Don’t use black…The masters did…it does wonderful for toning down a color.
  • Use a limited palette... A number of masters use up to 19 colours in a single painting.

Where did all these rules come from…many I follow…but now I am questioning why?

I'm currently taking a class with a modern day master who utilizes unorthodox painting methods to expand the command of watercolour painting.

After a few years of painting, I believe that “rule” is if you are going to sell your painting, be sure it is permanent and archival…but that’s a business and quality rule for me.

Here is my latest demo for the Kanata Art Club. Painting the pomegranate seeds was a definite challenge.  This painting is of course using all archiving material.


This weekend, I'll be mounting this watercolour on a 12" X 10" wood panel. It will be available at either Da Artisti Gallery or Carlingwood mall Pop Up.


Have a great weekend,

Danielle

Comments