Do you believe in "The Muse"?

When some people talk about creativity or inspiration, they often talk about “The Muse.” Supposedly, this mystical creature floats down from somewhere and gives them their ideas. Furthermore, it’s not possible to predict when "The Muse" will come.


Believing in “The Muse”, shields the artist from the uncomfortable truth that art is hard work.  This belief also encourages a wait and see attitude. The painter Chuck Close said “inspiration is for amateurs, the rest of us just show up and get to work.” Picasso said “inspiration exists but it has to find you working.” The poet Charles Baudelaire said “inspiration comes from working.”

Nonetheless, I do not believe in “The Muse”. I do not have a problem with showing up in my studio.  Most days, I’m in my studio between 6 and 8 hours per day.  Some days, I’m in there at 9am till 10pm only coming up for food.

Yesterday I was excited to finish my latest painting of a stack of quilts.  This was a demo for my class “Colourful fabric” and was 3 weeks in the making. 


Well it didn’t really take 3 weeks to paint this.  During the same period I’m also working  on a large painting of a sunflower.  I’ll finish that one in a day or two.

 Have a creative week,

Danielle

 







Comments