Selling paintings from workshops

A couple of days ago a student of mine asked if I had a policy about the use of paintings created during my workshops.  She said that some of her other instructors have a policy that say any work produced by a participant during one of their workshops cannot be sold or publicly displayed (e.g. in a gallery).

During my workshop yesterday, I asked participants if they had other instructors say anything like it. Most of them said that they had.

A couple of days ago a student of mine asked if I had a policy about the use of paintings created during a workshop. She said that some of her other instructors have a policy that say any work produced by a participant during one of their workshops cannot be sold or publicly displayed (e.g. in a gallery).
It is a very common rule that any painting either completed with any kind of instruction cannot be used in any competition or juried exhibit. This rule applies whether or not the instructor had any input into the project.


I do not have a policy because I do not want to start policing. If a student sells or gives one of the artworks completed in my class, I have no issues. My only goal is to improve the skill set of my participants.

Also, if a student shares, on social media, a work of art completed in my class, I much appreciate that they tag me and acknowledge that it was done in my class. This appears to be common curtesy. Although I’ve never said anything to my workshop participants, as far as I’ve seen most (not all) give me credit on social media. Thank you.

What do I do with artworks that I’ve completed in workshops? Well I often share on social media and always always tag the instructor acknowledging their workshop. A few of those artworks are hanging in my studio, while others are just stacked up and I will never attempt to sell them.

A number of months ago I saw a photo on Facebook by Allan Baxter. I asked him for permission to use his photo and he agreed. This was a great exercise. Would you believe that I only used two colours - Raw Umber and Ultramarine Blue.

Strategic Focus - 16" X 12"

Have a creative week,

Danielle


p.s. Have you read my latest newsletter and seen my other recent artwork?

Comments