Overwhelmed by Social Media?

Like many things in life, sometimes we overcomplicate things. When I was a public servant, I certainly saw this a lot. I see the same of many artists with Facebook, Instagram, TicToc, etc. In addition to this,  numerous artists are putting additional pressure on themselves to participate in this challenge or that social media challenge in order to be seen.

 

Growing our social media audience should be about sharing our work and inviting those with whom we share it to experience more, including purchasing our work.   I think it's too easy to get distracted by the trivial quirks of Facebook or Instagram or search engine optimization that we forget why we're doing it: to share our work and invite those that respond to get more of it.

 

I suggest that we need to simplify the marketing stuff so we can focus on producing quality art and not get overwhelmed.

 

Do I believe that posting on social media is sufficient to sell art?  Nope.  There are numerous better artists than each of us.  It is our job to create the appetite for our artworks.  The phone will not ring just because we think we produce good art.  We must learn to identify our target audience and engage it. There is a lot of artwork out there, all demanding to be seen. We must find our voice and actively engage.

 

In the Fall of 2017, I had the pleasure of visiting Sienna, one of Tuscany's loveliest medieval city. The photos taken of rooftops have been on my mind since then. Until my classes start in a couple of weeks, I thought it would be a great time for a new challenge. After a week of effort, here is my progress.


Tomorrow will be an exciting day. I get to hang my solo show at the Galerie d'art Eugène-Racette, MIFO (6600, rue Carrière, Orléans ON).  Nowadays, many families are getting rid of their objects made of crystal or silver. These often belonged to their grandparents and were reserved for special occasions. A tribute to those who have enriched our world with these ornate objects, this exhibition highlights the reflections of these objects often passed down from generation to generation.  The vernissage is this Thursday from 6-7:30pm. Consider joining me. For planning purposes, please register for free at:  https://app193.digibotservices.ca/dbo/event.php?org=5190&event=68987894  

Happy New Year

Danielle




Comments