Warm Paintings Sell Best

For the last three days I attended Watercolor Live 2023 conference. During her presentation, Linda Baker mentioned that warm paintings sell more than those that are predominately cool colours. Apparently paintings with red sell best. I've read that some studies have shown that paintings with red, orange, and other warm colors sell for the most at auctions. Blue is a close second in terms of sales.

I conducted a short google search for documented researches on this but haven't found any.  What I did find was a number of gallery owners confirming that warm paintings sell more than cool paintings. 

Will this information change what I want to paint. Nope. However I happen to be paintings some marigolds which are warm.  The rest of the paint will be cool.

Last summer I planted some marigolds so that I could use them for still life photography to be used for paintings.  Well I almost forgot to take the photos.  However  I did take more than a hundred with a silver bowl and some blue jars. From those photos I selected two. Stay tuned for the ones with blue jars.

Here is a photo of my work in progress. It is approximately 16"X12".

WIP Approximately 16"X12"

I thought that this size would be sufficient for the amount of details. But I was wrong, the details on the flowers are very small.  My paintings with the jars will be larger, but I doubt that the flowers will be much bigger.

A few days ago, I also started another painting that will have lots of peeled paint and an old lock..  This one started off with some stamping with lots of colours. This is a unique technique that I picked up in a couple of the workshops with Angus McEwan.  I have just started putting the darks in.

WIP Approximately 12"X16"

There is one more week left for my solo exhibit at the Galerie d'art Eugène-Racette Le MIFO , 6600, rue Carrière, Orléans, ON.


For the love of watercolour,
Danielle






Comments