Handmade Watercolour Paper

A few days ago, I decided to paint a barn on a beautiful sheet of St Armand handmade watercolour paper to be framed in an old barnwood frame that my husband made for me.   I've been waiting for the right moment to use this paper.  The paper is highly textured which is great for barn texture. 


I wanted to create the effect of paint peeling on the barn and applied masking fluid  in numerous small areas to help create that illusion.


Sadly, when I removed the masking fluid the top layer of the paper ripped eliminating the painted barn.  Imagine how flaky a good croissant is and the layers coming apart. Unfortunately, I hadn't tested masking fluid on this type of paper.  A bit of research after the fact informed me that handmade watercolour papers  prove to be too delicate and insufficiently sized for masking fluid.  I hope that I remember this when I use my last sheet of this beautiful paper.


A few days ago, I finished this small (8"X10") painting of an Asian lock. I love the colour of the wood.


With regard to the barn, well I started over on my regular paper - Fabriano Artistico.  I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.


Did you know that my next class with Kanata Art Club will be about barns and their surroundings.  I believe that there may be a couple of spots open. For more information:  https://kac1.ca/club-activities/classesstudios/danielle-beaulieu-old-barns



Have a great week

Danielle





Comments