Do I paint what I like or what I think will sell?

I'm often asked if I paint subjects that I like or subjects that I think will sell.

I paint watercolours because I love it and never worry about painting to sell.  However, I do spend a lot of energy trying to create paintings of better quality (improving composition, colour choices, etc.).  Part of the fun is seeing the progress over the years.

Although, I tend to be competitive when I play sports or work, competition doesn't even enter my mind when I paint.   It's like gardening, I paint and I garden for the enjoyment and nothing else.

The passion that goes into a painting shows in the final product.  We should all have a hobby that we can escape in.

In any event, not many people buy original paintings so I have to do this for myself.

I started this painting at the art show last weekend.  
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour waterfall
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you. If you do not paint what you love it will show. Your energy flows into your painting, and everyone is best at the things they love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the post and painting of the week.