Great challenge painting horses

I've never painted a portrait but I don't need to have done so to know that they are very difficult. I suspect that they're even more difficult without instructions and lots of practice. 

Last week, I painted my first horses and they were certainly the most difficult subject I have ever painted.  It wasn't easy to get the proportions and the likeness and see the entire horses instead of the parts. This experience has given me a greater appreciation for those artists who paint portraits and horses. 

This painting was a big stretch for me and I'd have to do a lot more to get much better at it. While painting this watercolour, I procrastinated a number of times as I struggled to get to the next stage.   Nevertheless, I'm glad that I persisted.  Here is my watercolour of horses and I consider it a work in progress.


If ever I want to paint a portrait, I certainly have to put in many many hours painting horses and people.  For now, the thought of painting portrait scares me and I still have much to learn.

For my next painting I'm looking at photos of more old lanterns.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments